Leadership and Management Styles
An important managerial trait is first to understand the difference between Management and Leadership, surprisingly they are not one and the same as Dr Stephen Covey says in his classic book “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People”:
“Management is efficiency in climbing the ladder of success; leadership determines whether the ladder is leaning against the right wall”
This is one of the best definitions you will find that separates the two.
Should you manage or should you lead?
What do Managers Do
One good answer to this question comes from the late Peter Drucker, a name that stands in the long history of management studies.
- Sets objectives The manager sets goals for the group, decides what work needs to be done to meet those objectives
- Organises The manager divides the work into manageable activities, and selects people to accomplish the tasks that need to be done.
- Motivates and communicates The manager creates a team out of his people, through decisions they make on pay, tasks, promotion, and through their general communication with the team.
- Measures The manager establishes appropriate targets and yardsticks, and analyses, appraises and interprets performance for the individual and the business
- Develops people With the rise of the specialist worker, this task has taken on added importance. People are the company’s most important asset, and it is up to the manager to develop that asset.
What Do Leaders Do
Amongst other thing the keys to strong leadership are
- Sets an example for others to follow in words and actions
- Introduces new ideas to the group
- Helps solve problems and settle differences
- Organises the group in order to accomplish group goals
- Ability to make decisions
- Gives encouragement
- Make things happen!
So do you lead or do you manage, and more importantly what should be you doing?
This pdf. well help you to decide
To be successful, SMART tools must be applied in a stable environment and that stability can only be achieved when you implement the basic SMART tools first.
The team from Smartworxs will help you with the deployment of these SMART tools and be there with you to help and guide you through the implementation.